A law firm which offers more

Call us: 0113 246 0622

Reclaiming inheritance tax when the value of a deceased person’s property reduces after death - in light of Coronavirus


With recent reports of house prices rising by 3.9% in Yorkshire and the Humber over the last year, the fastest rise in the UK, little thought has probably been given to what should happen if the value of a deceased person’s property drops after the date of death.

In light of the recent Coronavirus difficulties, we have had a number of clients enquire as to the inheritance tax (“IHT”) consequences if there is a sudden drop in the value of the property after the date of death. In particular, if a sale happens and the sale price is less than the date of death value, can they claim any IHT relief or refund?

How is Inheritance Tax originally paid?

First, it is important to remind ourselves how HM Revenue and Customs (“HMRC”) initially calculate the IHT due on a person’s estate. HMRC will calculate the IHT due by looking at the value of the deceased’s assets at the date of death. Where IHT is payable on an estate, you will be required to obtain a formal written valuation of the deceased’s property and this must declare the value as of the exact date of death. 

When paying the IHT on a person’s death, HMRC are initially not too concerned if the value of the property goes up or down after the date of death. There are merely concerned with the value as of the date of death as that is what is subject to IHT. 

If the value of the property increases between date of death and date of sale, capital gains tax could be payable to HMRC on the “gain”. There are various ways we can help to try and mitigate this.

If the value of the property decreases between date of death and date of sale, there is the opportunity to reclaim some of the IHT that was paid on the date of death value. It should be noted however, that if the estate has not paid any IHT to begin with, no relief or IHT reclaim is available.

Loss on sale of land relief

The rules (s190-s198 Inheritance Tax Act 1984)

In basic terms, relief in the form of an IHT refund may be claimed where:

  1. An “appropriate person”;
  2. Sells an “interest in land” included in the deceased’s estate;
  3. The sale must be within 4 years of death;
  4. For a value different to its date of death value; and
  5. The claim must be made within 7 years of death.

Who is an “appropriate person”?

An appropriate person is either:

In most cases, the “appropriate person” is the deceased’s executors or administrators (collectively known as the personal representatives). However, an appropriate person may also be a specific legatee who is bearing the burden of IHT.

The rules are clear however, that where a personal representative accounts for the IHT and then transfers the land to a beneficiary to then sell it at a loss, relief will be denied. This is because the beneficiary is not the “appropriate person” for rule 1 (above) and the personal representative  cannot claim because they are not the person to have sold the land (failing to satisfy rule 2, above). Please therefore be careful in transferring property to beneficiaries prior to assessing the merits of this type of claim. 

What is an “interest in land”?

An “interest in land” is widely defined. However, it must be noted that the interest in land must actually be comprised in the deceased’s estate if it is to qualify for relief. Therefore, holding an interest in a partnership, for instance, which holds land but where the partner holds no rights over specific partnership assets, does not amount to an interest in land within the deceased’s estate.

Examples where the relief is unavailable

Not all circumstances satisfy the rules listed above. The following situations are typical examples of where the relief would not be allowed:

Other key points to note 


If you have any queries about any issues raised in this blog, please do not hesitate to contact our Private Client team.

Disclaimer: Anything posted on this blog is for general information only and is not intended to provide legal advice on any general or specific matter. Please refer to our terms and conditions for further information. Please contact the author of the blog if you would like to discuss the issues raised.